Immigrate to Australia (Subclass 189)
Australia now operates a points-based system just like Canada. The most popular route is the Subclass 189. You need a minimum score of 65, but its advisable to score 80-85 points to get a faster invitation.
No job offer is needed. You must be below 45 years of age to be able to apply. Let us look at how points are calculated under each category:
- 18-24years = 25 points.
- 25-32years = 30 points.
- 33-39years = 25 points.
- 40-44years = 15 points.
- 45 and above = 0 points.
- Score 6 in each area of IELTS = 0 points.
- Score 7 = 10 points.
- Score 8 = 20 points.
Note: IELTS General is used for immigration.
WORK EXPERIENCE OUTSIDE AUSTRALIA:
- 8 years experience = 15 points.
- 5years = 10 points.
- 3years = 5 points.
WORK EXPERIENCE IN AUSTRALIA:
- 5yrs experience = 15 points.
- 3yrs experience = 10 points.
- 1yr experience = 5 points.
EDUCATION OUTSIDE AUSTRALIA:
- BSc or MSc = 15 points.
- PhD = 20 points.
Note: If you have 2 or more degrees, only the highest degree can be claimed.
EDUCATION IN AUSTRALIA:
A Diploma, BSc, MSc, or PhD within Australia = 10 points.
- Your spouse is under 45yrs, can score 6 in IELTS, and has relevant work experience = 15 points.
- You’re single or your spouse is an Australian PR/Citizen = 10 points.
NOMINATION BY A FAMILY MEMBER, STATE, OR PROVINCE IN AUSTRALIA:
You claim = 10 points.
KNOWLEDGE OF AUSTRALIA’S DESIGNATED LANGUAGE:
You claim = 5 points.
Calculate your points here.
HOW TO APPLY:
1. Before you apply, you must submit an expression of interest through SkillSelect here.
2. Gather all relevant documents.
3. Apply for the visa online.
4. Receive notifications for additional documentation if needed.
5. Receive a decision.
- For applicant = AUD$4,045.
- An additional family member over 18 years = +AUD$2,020.
- An additional family member under 18 years = +AUD$1,015.
AVERAGE PROCESSING TIME:
- 2 months = Time to receive an invitation if you have a high score.
- From 12 to 30months = Your Permanent Residency Application.